Facebook Custom Gender Feature Makes Site More Inclusive
Facebook has more than a billion active users every month. Out of this large and diverse crowd, many who use the popular social network don’t believe they fit smoothly into the category of male or female.
To make the site more inclusive, Facebook now allows users in the U.S. to create a custom gender, according to a recent Facebook Diversity post. This new feature makes it possible for people who identify as transgender or neither gender to express what they feel is their true gender identity on Facebook.
“When you come to Facebook to connect with the people, causes, and organizations you care about, we want you to feel comfortable being your true, authentic self,” the Facebook Diversity post explained. “An important part of this is the expression of gender, especially when it extends beyond the definitions of just ‘male’ or ‘female.’”
Facebook Lets You Choose Your Pronoun
In addition to giving users more freedom to define their gender, Facebook also provides a drop-down box that lets users select the gender pronoun they prefer to use publicly. Options include he/him, she/her, and the gender-neutral they/their.
How Do I Edit My Gender on Facebook?
Facebook provides step-by-step instructions for updating your basic info, which includes your gender, work, education, etc. Those instructions are as follows:
- Go to your Timeline (sometimes referred to as your profile)
- Click Update Info at the bottom of your cover photo
- Click Edit in the top right of the section you’d like to change
- While editing each section, you’ll see an audience selector next to most pieces of info. Select an audience to choose who you share this info with.
- Select Male, Female or Custom for your gender. If you select Custom, you will be able to define your own gender as you see fit. Select a Preferred Pronoun. The preferred pronoun you select is public.
- Enter your new info and click Save.
What Do You Think About the New Facebook Custom Gender Feature?
Bigfin.com LLC is an industry leader in search engine optimization, web design and social media. Looking for online marketing or web development services? Contact us online or by phone at 425-822-8200.
Search Engine Marketing
Social Media Advertising
Social Media Managment
Google My Business